Omaha, NE – Today, Republican Aaron Hanson announced his candidacy for Douglas County Sheriff. Hanson is a veteran law enforcement officer with nearly 25 years of service with the Omaha Police Department and a former President of the Omaha Police Officers Association. He is currently the supervisor of the OPD Fugitive Unit and on the Metro Omaha Fugitive Task Force.
“I appreciate all the encouragement I have received to seek this office. I’m a problem solver who’s spent my life in the field, on the front lines of our fight against crime.” said Hanson. “As Sheriff, I’ll work every day to keep Douglas County families safe and support our law enforcement officials.”
Born and raised in Omaha, Hanson’s first job was at the Florence Drug Store. He graduated from Omaha North High School before enrolling at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. During his time at UNO, he realized his true calling in law enforcement and enrolled in the police academy, becoming an officer for the Omaha Police Department in 1996. Hanson has worked as a uniform patrol officer, K-9 officer, Gang Unit sergeant, and Fugitive Task Force supervisor and will use his real life street experience to keep our families safe.
In addition to his work with OPD he currently serves as the Executive Director of the Nebraska Center for Workforce Development, a nonprofit focused on creating opportunities for Omaha’s young people to gain exposure to careers in the trades. Over the years, Aaron has spent countless hours working with young men and families, some of whom are stuck in poverty and crime cycles, by working hard to build up their life skills and connect them with high paying skilled labor jobs. Hanson was elected SID board member in SID#260, where he works to keep property taxes low, spend tax dollars efficiently, and helps balance a budget while maintaining critical infrastructure. He also previously served as the President of the Omaha Police Officers Association and during his term worked to reform the pension plan to prevent pension spiking.
Watch Aaron’s Announcement Video Here: https://youtu.be/HzQEV59tTFk
- 24.5 years with OPD:
- Uniform Patrol 1996 – 2000
- K9 Unit 2000 – 2014
- NE Omaha Uniform Patrol Sgt 2014 – 2015
- North Omaha Gang Suppression Sgt 2015 – 2021
- Supervisor of the OPD Fugitive Unit & on the Metro Omaha Fugitive Task Force Feb 2021 – current
- Omaha Police Officers Association President 2005 – 2011
- City of Omaha Police and Fire Pension Board 2011 – 2017
- Governor’s Corrections Advisory Group 2015
- OPOA Legislative Liaison 2016 – current
- Executive Director of Nebraska Center for Workforce Development and Education
- Safety Committee for the Gretna Public School System.